Finance Minister Katy Gallagher has declined to comment on the Brittany Higgins scandal, after two judges found claims of a cover-up were false.
Federal Court Judge Michael Lee found, on the balance of probabilities, that Ms Higgins was raped by staffer Bruce Lehrmann in the office of former defence minister Linda Reynolds in 2021.
Labor Senators, including Ms Gallagher, Penny Wong, and Kristina Keneally, previously targeted Ms Reynolds and her chief of staff Fiona Brown in 2021.
They claimed the Morrison government attempted a cover-up, but two judges have since rejected these claims.
The matter has triggered a series of legal actions by former Morrison government staff, including Ms Reynolds and Ms Brown.
Ms Reynolds has pursued the Commonwealth over the compensation settlement, arguing she was excluded from providing her account.
Ms Brown lodged a Fair Work claim over alleged failures of duty of care while in the Morrison government in 2021.
“There are these matters underway, for both Ms Brown and Ms Reynolds,” Ms Gallagher told Sky News Sunday Agenda.
“And you know, because of that, I’m not really in a position to add anything further to what I already have (said) on the record.”
When pressed about whether there was any doubt over the $2.4 million compensation payment made to Ms Higgins, Ms Gallagher said it was a matter for NACC.
The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) has oversight of aspects of the matter.
“Well, that matter, I think, was referred to the NACC, and they’re the appropriate body to … cast a view on that,” Ms Gallagher said.
“They have in relation to at least one of those matters, had a decision based on that. I mean, I think that’s what we set up the NACC for.
“If there was any concerns, it’s gone there, and it’s appropriate that that authority deal with it,” she said.
Opposition Leader Sussan Ley, meanwhile, criticised the Albanese government’s handling of the saga.
“They should answer the very reasonable questions that they have been asked about whether they exploited a very sensitive situation for political gain,” she said.
The Australian recently claimed that a proposal from shadow attorney-general Andrew Wallace had called for an inquiry into the compensation payment to Ms Higgins.
However, this was reportedly rejected by the shadow cabinet as sources told the newspaper the motion was voted down.
It was said the proposal was rejected due to concerns it could reopen scrutiny of former prime minister Scott Morrison and his former staff.
“I’m not going to go into details of shadow cabinet or other discussions,” Ms Ley said when asked about the matter.
