Close Menu
Finance Pro
  • Home
  • Art Gallery
  • Art Investment
  • Art Stocks
  • Cryptocurrency
  • Finance
  • Investing in Art
  • Investments
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • AP’s Tourism Receives Major Boost With ₹12,000 Crore Investments
  • Fraudsters convince victim to put $15,000 into cryptocurrency ATM: Westlake Police Blotter
  • Clacton Arts Centre gallery to celebrate first anniversary
  • Alibaba AI investments start to yield tangible returns for cloud business
  • Tamil Nadu CM Stalin embarks on trip to Germany, UK to attract investments | Latest News India
  • Real Estate for Cryptocurrency in 2025: Where and how to buy
  • MoU inked for investments in decarbonising technologies | Latest News India
  • What Role Does User Education Play In Enhancing Cryptocurrency Cybersecurity?
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Get In Touch
Finance ProFinance Pro
  • Home
  • Art Gallery
  • Art Investment
  • Art Stocks
  • Cryptocurrency
  • Finance
  • Investing in Art
  • Investments
Finance Pro
Home»Art Gallery»Swiss museum to remove five paintings linked to Nazi looting
Art Gallery

Swiss museum to remove five paintings linked to Nazi looting

June 14, 20242 Mins Read


The Kunsthaus Zurich, one of Switzerland’s most prestigious art museums, has announced it will remove five paintings after a review of their provenance under new guidelines for dealing with artworks looted by the Nazis.

A sixth painting also came in for additional scrutiny, the foundation responsible for the Emil Buhrle Collection said, though it did not believe the new guidelines applied to the work.

The foundation’s namesake was a German-born arms dealer who made his fortune during World War II, and there have long been suspicions about the Nazi-era origins of one of Europe’s most prestigious private art collections.

“The Kunsthaus Zurich has been informed by the Foundation E.G. Buhrle Collection that the Foundation is seeking solutions with the legal successors of former owners for six works in the collection,” the museum said in a Friday statement.

“The Kunsthaus welcomes this approach, but in the interests of visitors very much regrets that five of the paintings will be removed from the Kunsthaus premises” by the foundation on Thursday, it added.

The paintings in question are by Gustave Courbet, Claude Monet, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Vincent van Gogh and Paul Gauguin.

In a statement of its own, the foundation explained it had “subjected its artworks to a further assessment” of their provenance based on new best practices from the US State Department for dealing with Nazi-looted art.

For the five works being removed from the museum, “the Foundation will seek just and fair solutions with the descendants or other legal successors of the former owners.”

The foundation determined that “based on established facts”, a sixth painting by Edouard Manet “does not fall under the scope of the ‘Best Practices'”, though the case still merited “particular attention”.

“Due to the overall historical circumstances relating to the sale, the Foundation is prepared to offer a financial contribution to the estate of Max Silberberg in respect to the tragic destiny of the former owner,” it said.

The Kunsthaus has previously run into trouble showing the Buhrle collection, with critics last year saying its attempt to put the works in context did not focus enough on the fate of the art’s former Jewish owners.

apo/vog/sk/smw/qan



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Related Posts

Clacton Arts Centre gallery to celebrate first anniversary

August 30, 2025 Art Gallery

Original drawings for National Gallery released including pool plans

August 29, 2025 Art Gallery

Giles Kime: ‘Why contemporary art should become a feature of everyday life’

August 29, 2025 Art Gallery

‘Weeds’ Star Mary-Louise Parker Is Creating a New Kind of Art Gallery

August 28, 2025 Art Gallery

FAB Paris, the international art fair returns to the Grand Palais this autumn

August 27, 2025 Art Gallery

Half of Brits have never been to art gallery as arts still seen as ‘privileged’

August 27, 2025 Art Gallery
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Don't Miss

AP’s Tourism Receives Major Boost With ₹12,000 Crore Investments

August 30, 2025 Investments 2 Mins Read

VISAKHAPATNAM: Tourism sector in Andhra Pradesh has received investments worth ₹12,000 crore as part of…

Fraudsters convince victim to put $15,000 into cryptocurrency ATM: Westlake Police Blotter

August 30, 2025

Clacton Arts Centre gallery to celebrate first anniversary

August 30, 2025

Alibaba AI investments start to yield tangible returns for cloud business

August 30, 2025
Our Picks

AP’s Tourism Receives Major Boost With ₹12,000 Crore Investments

August 30, 2025

Fraudsters convince victim to put $15,000 into cryptocurrency ATM: Westlake Police Blotter

August 30, 2025

Clacton Arts Centre gallery to celebrate first anniversary

August 30, 2025

Alibaba AI investments start to yield tangible returns for cloud business

August 30, 2025
Our Picks

Eric Trump sees bitcoin hitting $1 million, praises China cryptocurrency role

August 29, 2025

Avalanche (AVAX) holds $24, but experts agree Mutuum Finance (MUTM) is the best Cryptocurrency to buy before 2026

August 29, 2025

Original drawings for National Gallery released including pool plans

August 29, 2025
Latest updates

AP’s Tourism Receives Major Boost With ₹12,000 Crore Investments

August 30, 2025

Fraudsters convince victim to put $15,000 into cryptocurrency ATM: Westlake Police Blotter

August 30, 2025

Clacton Arts Centre gallery to celebrate first anniversary

August 30, 2025
Weekly Updates

Puma Property Finance appoints new Head of Impact

May 7, 2024

Is a Master’s in Finance Worth It?

August 15, 2024

Inside Housing – Home – Real estate fund receives £50m investment from Homes England

October 17, 2024
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions
  • Get In Touch
© 2025 Finance Pro

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.